BabyPrem Moses Basket Mattress 75cm x 28cm x 3.5cm Quilted review
When you’re about to welcome a baby into the world, life can become a series of puzzling purchasing decisions, and one of the first is where the baby will sleep. Standard cribs are too spacious for a newborn and, therefore, it is common to look for a lighter, more portable and reduced model for those first weeks, and the bassinet is the ideal solution.A Moses basket like the BabyPrem Moses Basket Mattress 75cm x 28cm x 3.5cm Quilted is recommended for you. Read this review before you decide.
Moses basket mattress approximately 29.5 x 11 x 1.5 inches (75cm x 28cm x 3.5cm), made from covered breathable foam. Conforms to regulations BS7177:2008 and A1:2011 and BS1877:Part 10: 2011 and A1:2012. Despatched within 24 hours Mon to Fri (excl bank holidays). Available as standard or quilted. Suitable from birth.
Why Moses basket?
Before seeing what are the advantages and disadvantages and how to choose the Moses basket, I will explain what it is in case someone does not yet know what a baby bassinet is, also known as a wicker carrycot or palm bassinet.
The wicker baby bassinet has two main parts:
- A wicker basket (palm baby carrycot)
- A firm base (foldable in some cases, others with wheels)
The Moses basket has a mattress and clothing, a coating that covers the wicker and softens the possible contact of the baby. This mini-crib is a classic, many of us must have slept in bassinets basket. If you comment to grandmothers or moms, they will know it perfectly. With the theme of fashion, everything returns and the taste for vintage and retro has also reached the world of the baby and the bassinet basket is a clear example in the theme of the baby’s sleep.
It is used during the first months, it is normally oval, with rounded edges so that babies cannot suffer any damage and it is made of a single piece. It usually has handles so that only the carrycot can be transported.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Choosing Baby Moses basket
- It is cheaper than a wooden mini-crib
- It will help you a lot in the first months for your baby’s sleep because the space will be smaller and it will be more collected.
- It is easy to transport, with the handle, and light, especially if the baby is not inside.
- You can move the baby without picking him up or waking him up when he is sleeping.
- It is very likely that if you ask there is even one at home and you can reuse it (more vintage impossible) with the emotional charge that could be the charm of your baby sleeping in the carrycot / bassinet where you did.
- What is good for those first months can be an inconvenience because you will ask yourself if it is worth buying something that you know in advance that they will only use it for 4-5 months, 6 at the most if the carrycot is one of the large ones. (You should also put on that scale not only the economic side of the investment for something of a few months, but the fundamental thing for the baby’s sleep and rest, the fact of having a reduced space and according to their first needs after leaving the uterus mother to a “hostile” world)
- It does not serve as a crib reducer nor can you co-sleep with it.
Safely use your Moses basket
Once we know the elements of a Moses basket and what its correct state should be, I will tell you about safety, what characteristics a carrycot must have to be safe for a newborn:
- If the minimum depth was 10 inches it should not have a depth of more than 20 inches.
- The mattress must be orthopedic and of the highest quality, adapting 100% to the shape of the carrycot you have, not all mattresses are suitable for all carrycots.
- The material of the garments should be soft and washable.
- If it is made of wood, it should not have splinters, look at this point
And again, I return to the issue of the rocker and the wheels, this point is the trickiest with respect to safety. If the structure fails, your baby is not safe.
What a baby Moses baske should look like
There are numerous models on the market, increasingly modern and with more additional elements since, despite being something traditional and past, it is back in fashion, as we mentioned, in line with the vintage trends of current design. Remember that it is not only a decorative element so that your baby’s room is super cute, it is a place for your newborn baby to rest and it must be the best, as safe and comfortable as possible.
- Rigid and flat bottom of the carrycot, very resistant and with a firm base.
- The mattress should be as tight as possible, without any gaps on the sides.
- The wicker of the bassinet must be watched that it does not have any loose splinters as I said so as not to hurt the baby.
- Be careful if you have wheels, which are practical for some things but if they are not reliable, they can cause more headaches than benefits.